Cake smash Photographer / The Perfect Cake / Norton, MA
May 21, 2018 | By: Jenee Cook Photography
Five tips for a fabulous CAKE for your cake smash photo shoot:
Guest feature: Sweet Stuff Bake Shop located in Norton, MA
Melanie Barrick, Owner and lead Baker of Sweet Stuff Bake Shop in Norton, MA is an incredible Artist! She can quite literally create any theme you have in mind for a birthday cake, Wedding Cake or cake-smash cake. She is so knowledgable when helping you create the perfect confectionary masterpiece. I'm so excited to have her featured today writing about choosing the perfect cake for your Cake-Smash Session! Cake-Smashes are one of my favorite sessions to photograph. The curiosity of the baby, the mess they make and the great fun they have is so entertaining! Here are 5 tips to choosing a cake that will look beautiful for your session.
1. Vanilla every time…yes, it matters! While many enjoy the rich deliciousness of a chocolate cake, for a cake smash photo shoot, vanilla rules the day. Chocolate, with its rich brown tones, can look more like dirt or worse scattered around your sweet baby or smeared on a cheek. Fantastic photography calls for vanilla every time!
2. Fondant is a faux pas! The intrinsic value of fondant in cake decorating is clear, bold colors, crisp shapes and near perfect designs are easily accessible using this sweet paste. Though, the beauty of a cake smash is truly in the mess and when smear-ability matters, fondant doesn’t hold a candle to the beauty of buttercream!
3. Decorative dos and don’ts: Do plan for a simple cake that coordinates with your photographer’s backdrop design. Do opt for colors that won’t require hefty amounts of food coloring to achieve. Don’t make the cake the focal point. Your baby is the most important feature of the photo shoot. The cake is just a prop, while it should be pretty, it shouldn’t upstage your cherub.
4. First time foibles! If the cake smash photo shoot is your baby’s first time experiencing the feel or touch of frosting or cake, you might be surprised by their reaction. Many babies have tactile reactions to the slippery feel of frosting. Others are shocked by their first true taste of sugary sweetness. For best results, let them have a touch and a try ahead of time to eliminate that initial surprise.
5. Size matters! The perfect size cake for a cake smash photo shoot is a 2-3 layer 6” round cake. Anything smaller looks comical and anything larger is just too big. A 6” round cake is plenty.
Sweet Stuff Bake Shop is a made-to-order, home-based bakery in Norton, MA. They create high-quality, custom baked goods for all of your occasions. Everything is made fresh to order using only the best ingredients. All cakes, cookies, cupcakes and breads are homemade from scratch in small batches to ensure consistent quality every time.